Welcome to the Fredericks Art Blog

Welcome to my world of art. Painting is my joy of life.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Spring in the Chasm



The above picture evolved from a trip I took two years ago up the mountain creek behind our home in the Rockies.

Three days ago I took it to the studio of my friend, Ken Williams, who is a great carver of totem and ceremonial Indian poles and a splendid painter. We talked about it, and Ken suddenly said. "I can see this picture with water dripping and falling everwhere." Suddenly the light went on. He gave the work an entirely different focus.

This painting pits the cold of nature at the bottom of a chasm against the warmth of an emerging spring day.

Great icicles hang from the canyon wall and lazy fat snowflakes fall slowly from the sky. The snow at the bottom of the cliff is alive with colour.


The picture is 61cm x 46cm. (24"x 18")

No comments:

Post a Comment